Gailor Industrial School. Records

Identity elements

Reference number

AO-00-R0061-05

Level of description

Fonds

Title

Gailor Industrial School. Records

Date(s)

  • 1919-1951 (Creation)

Extent

.4 cu.ft. (2 boxes partial)

Name of creator

Abstract

Gailor Industrial School was founded in 1905 by the Bishop of Tennessee, Thomas F. Gailor III, and first became affiliated with ACI in 1921. The school's original name honored a donor, Rev. Charles A. Hoffman of New York. Gailor developed into a four-year high school for girls and boys, including boarders. Enrollment in 1928 was 250; in 1943, it was 360. Fire completely destroyed the school in 1945 but it continued to function and was rebuilt. ACI appears to have discontinued funding the school in 1949.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

The school's Board of Trustees records (1935, 1940, 1944-1946) are slight, but other documentation is present concerning finances and the closing of Gailor Industrial School, dating from 1919 to 1951. ACI Director's correspondence (1938-1944) is with Gailor's principal and the Bishop of Tennessee, and with others concerning the school's building projects. Historical information can be found in historical summaries (1924-1928), publicity (1943), and a survey report of the school by the George Peabody College for Teachers (1946).

Arrangement

This material constitutes file series 13 of the ACI archive.

Conditions of access and use elements

Access conditions

Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy. Research requests must be submitted in writing.

Technical access

Rights and permissions

The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Descriptive inventories

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Accruals

Related materials elements

Related records and archives

The Tennessee State Library and Archives holds Gailor Industrial School Records, 1917-1973.

Notes element

Description control element

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places