St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, North Carolina. Records

Identity elements

Reference number

AO-00-R0061-08

Level of description

Fonds

Title

St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, North Carolina. Records

Date(s)

  • 1867, c. 1900-1967 (Creation)

Extent

.65 cu.ft. (3 boxes partial)

Name of creator

Abstract

St. Augustine’s Normal School and Collegiate Institute was founded in 1867 by the Rev. J. Brinton Smith of the Freedman’s Commission and the Bishop of North Carolina, Thomas Atkinson. In 1893 the school changed its name to St. Augustine’s School. Edgar H. Goold succeeded Hunter and remained as president until 1947 when Harold L. Trigg took over the post. In 1919 the school became known as St. Augustine’s Junior College, then in 1928 as St. Augustine’s College. For some time it was the only four-year liberal arts college for African Americans sponsored by the Episcopal Church. It was one of the first schools to be affiliated with ACI in 1906 and remained under that organization until ACI dissolved in 1967. It remains a four-year liberal arts college with an attachment to the Episcopal Church through the office of the Bishop of North Carolina.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

Records of the school include its charter (1867) and initial agreement with ACI (1906), Board of Trustees' meeting minutes and President's reports (1931, 1940, 1947-1954), and documents relating to building programs (1929, 1947). Financial records include audit reports almost complete (1936-1967), correspondence (1939-1951), and budgets and salaries (1949-1954, 1957-1958). Correspondence is present between St. Augustine's president and the Home Department director (1948-1954), as well as the ACI director's correspondence (1919-1943). This series also includes a survey report of the school by the George Peabody College for Teachers (1946). Some documents dating from 1938 to 1941 relate to the Bishop Tuttle Training School, a Christian social work and religious education institution administered by St. Augustine's from 1925, including the school's bulletin and a survey report.

Arrangement

This material constitutes file series 16.1 of the ACI archive.

Conditions of access and use elements

Access conditions

Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy. Research requests must be submitted in writing.

Technical access

Rights and permissions

The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Descriptive inventories

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Accruals

Related materials elements

Related records and archives

Notes element

Description control element

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area