<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD ead.dtd (Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN" "http://lcweb2.loc.gov/xmlcommon/dtds/ead2002/ead.dtd">
<ead>
  <eadheader langencoding="iso639-2b" countryencoding="iso3166-1" dateencoding="iso8601" repositoryencoding="iso15511" scriptencoding="iso15924" relatedencoding="DC">
    <eadid identifier="ea" url="https://catalog.episcopalarchives.org/index.php/ea" encodinganalog="identifier">EA</eadid>
    <filedesc>
      <titlestmt>
        <titleproper encodinganalog="title">Episcopal Agencies and Organizations of the General Convention or DFMS</titleproper>
      </titlestmt>
      <publicationstmt>
        <publisher encodinganalog="publisher">The Archives of the Episcopal Church</publisher>
        <date normal="2022-08-01" encodinganalog="date">2022-08-01</date>
      </publicationstmt>
    </filedesc>
    <profiledesc>
      <creation>
      Generated by Access to Memory (AtoM) 2.10.1      <date normal="2026-07-17">2026-07-17 14:36 UTC</date>
    </creation>
      <langusage>
        <language langcode="eng">English</language>
      </langusage>
    </profiledesc>
  </eadheader>
  <archdesc level="recordgrp" relatedencoding="isad">
    <did>
      <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Episcopal Agencies and Organizations of the General Convention or DFMS</unittitle>
      <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA</unitid>
      <repository>
        <corpname>The Archives of the Episcopal Church</corpname>
      </repository>
    </did>
    <odd type="publicationStatus">
      <p>Published</p>
    </odd>
    <dsc type="combined">
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Forward Movement. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0021-01</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1934/2019" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1934-2019</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1.45 cu. ft. (4 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_669_actor">Forward Movement</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-a7137a0da9349a9e291816fc8ea49c31" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>In the midst of the Great Depression, the Joint Commission on the Forward Movement was established in 1934 by General Convention with the charge to point the Church “forward.”  The Movement sponsored conferences, meetings, and training programs for leaders along with Bible study and prayer groups under the leadership of the Rt. Rev. Henry Wise Hobson. Forward Movement’s first publications appeared in 1935, including the first issues of Forward Day by Day, a daily devotional guide. In 1940, the General Convention adopted the program elements of Forward Movement as its unifying theme under the slogan of “Forward in Service.” The Joint Commission ceased to exist in 1940, although the publications effort continued in Cincinnati under Bishop Hobson and an Executive Committee.<lb/><lb/>Although Forward Movement Publications is authorized each triennium by the General Convention with the Presiding Bishop as its chair, the agency is self-funded and does not draw on the budget of The Episcopal Church. Forward Movement specializes in the publication of devotional tracts and spiritual guides, although its range of materials expanded after 1986 with the closing of Seabury Press, which was the national Church’s publishing house. Forward Movement has also published key ecumenical documents affecting The Episcopal Church as well as other works of historical and biographical importance.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>A small and somewhat artificial collection of the organization’s records are maintained as Series 4 of the Records of Forward Movement. It includes early records, especially the Joint Commission’s report, a scrapbook (compiled by the Bishop Edward L. Parsons), correspondence and some ephemera. The Parsons scrapbook was left intact for its artifactual value. It serves as a record of the early years of Forward Movement from 1935-1937. Catalogs make up a large part of the records and document the agency's publication run. Some promotional materials exist from 1934-1943.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Arranged chronologically.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Forward Movement. Publications</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0021-02</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1934/2021" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1934-2021</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        25.2 cu. ft. (71 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_763_actor">Forward Movement</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-a7137a0da9349a9e291816fc8ea49c31" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>In the midst of the Great Depression, the Joint Commission on the Forward Movement was established in 1934 by General Convention with the charge to point the Church “forward.”  The Movement sponsored conferences, meetings, and training programs for leaders along with Bible study and prayer groups under the leadership of the Rt. Rev. Henry Wise Hobson. Forward Movement’s first publications appeared in 1935, including the first issues of Forward Day by Day, a daily devotional guide. In 1940, the General Convention adopted the program elements of Forward Movement as its unifying theme under the slogan of “Forward in Service.” The Joint Commission ceased to exist in 1940, although the publications effort continued in Cincinnati under Bishop Hobson and an Executive Committee.<lb/><lb/>Although Forward Movement Publications is authorized each triennium by the General Convention with the Presiding Bishop as its chair, the agency is self-funded and does not draw on the budget of The Episcopal Church. Forward Movement specializes in the publication of devotional tracts and spiritual guides, although its range of materials expanded after 1986 with the closing of Seabury Press, which was the national Church’s publishing house. Forward Movement has also published key ecumenical documents affecting The Episcopal Church as well as other works of historical and biographical importance.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Amounting to approximately 25 cubic feet, the Forward Movement Publications Collection currently spans the period 1934-2021. The print publication record begins in 1935. The collection is defined by four series: (1) Serial Publications: Out-of-print Publications; (2) Serial Publications: Forward Day by Day; and (3) Books and Pamphlets. (A fourth series of records is separately cataloged). The Out-of-print Publications in Series 1 are organized alphabetically by serial name and then chronologically by year. Series 2 consists of one Forward Movement serial publication which is still in-print – "Forward Day by Day,"and is arranged chronologically by year.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Arrangement is both alphabetical and chronological.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Hobson, Henry Wise</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Parsons, Edward L.</persname>
          <genreform>Pamphlets</genreform>
          <genreform>Tracts</genreform>
          <subject>Religious literature–publishing</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accruals encodinganalog="3.3.3">
          <p>Regular deposits are made by Forward Movement and accessioned on an annual basis.</p>
        </accruals>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Episcopal Service for Youth. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0098</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1909/1976" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1909-1976</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        5.35 cubic feet (6 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <repository>
            <corpname>The Archives of the Episcopal Church</corpname>
          </repository>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_2130_actor">Episcopal Service for Youth</corpname>
            <corpname id="atom_2131_actor">Church Mission of Help</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-93e1386f07b8735c648668a9a60f6405" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The Episcopal Service for Youth was formed in 1911 as The Church Mission of Help (CMH). Its original purpose was to promote family life by assisting unwed mothers to remain with their families and make it possible for them to take care of their children for at least the first two years. The scope of its case work grew through the 1920s to include preventative care for at-risk children. By 1930, it had not only expanded its scope, but also added 13 more societies to its mission field.<lb/><lb/>The Episcopal Church continued to support CMH, but in the face of declining diocesan funding, the General Convention cut its appropriation by half in 1934. As a result, the bylaws of the organization were radically amended along with a substantial reduction in staff. In 1945, after much discussion, the name of the organization was changed to The Episcopal Service for Youth to better reflect its purpose and better appeal to the young people whom it served. In 1960, much of the society's work was assumed by the Department of Christian Social Relations. The Episcopal Service for Youth continued primarily as a scholarship organization until its dissolution in 1976.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Much of these records date from the first fifty years of the Church Mission of Help (CMH), when its primary focus was on social services. These records include the annual file, containing documents related to the organization’s annual accomplishments; sub-committees and member agencies file; and the majority of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors minutes and reports, which are accompanied by associated documents such as the bylaws and constitution. Additionally, the general file contains documents related to conferences in which the CMH participated, as well as miscellaneous materials such as case worker evaluations, clippings, and correspondence related to Executive Secretary Edith Balmford (1950-1960).<lb/><lb/>The financial records from this period are concentrated towards the later decades, with most of them beginning in the 1940s. Notable exceptions include some ledgers, beginning in 1920; documents related to the Standing Committee on Trust Funds, also beginning in 1920; and documents related to scholarships and fellowships, spanning 1910 through 1972. The CMH’s final years are most heavily represented in the remaining financial records, including budgets, financial statements, correspondence, cash receipts, and income; however, there are also organizational histories from the late 1960s and Executive Committee and Board of Directors minutes and reports from 1960 through 1975.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Annual File, 1909-1961<lb/>Executive Committee and Board of Directors, Minutes and Reports, 1919-1975<lb/>Sub-Committees, Member Agencies, 1910-1960<lb/>General File, 1920-1973<lb/>Financial, 1910-1972<lb/>Artifacts and Scrapbooks, 1929-1946</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Balmford, Edith</persname>
          <subject>Department of Christian Social Relations</subject>
          <subject>Episcopal Youth Service</subject>
          <subject>Social Gospel Movement</subject>
          <subject>Youth ministry</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">National Graduate Training Center (Windham House).  Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0111</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1926/1973" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1926-1973</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        4 cu.ft. (4 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1033_actor">National Graduate Training Center (Windham House)</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-ca31d013768a4e4e955b0c5f324d98f3" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The National Graduate Training Center (Windham House), which opened in 1928, was one of several training centers that raised up a cadre of women able to minister to people in domestic and foreign venues who were in need of health care, education, and spiritual guidance. Only some of the participants went on to become deaconesses, while most took their vocational interest as a serious lay calling.<lb/><lb/>The history of Windham House falls into three periods.<lb/><lb/>From 1928 to 1943 the program of living, worshiping, and studying together was initiated and developed, and some basic convictions and groundwork about the program were established.<lb/><lb/>From 1944 to 1959 the two-year, fourfold program of study was inaugurated and carried out.<lb/><lb/>In the years 1959 to 1967 the program took a more exploratory path in an effort to stay current in the midst of rapid cultural change.<lb/><lb/>The Windham House program was terminated on June 30, 1967 and the property was leased and eventually sold to the Parish of Trinity Church, New York City for the operation of Trinity Institute, a center for the continuing renewal of the ministry of the Church.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The records comprehensively cover Windham House's entire history and include minutes, director’s reports, and correspondence. Administrative files document Windham House's inception through its final director Johanna Mott. There is a solid set of financial records (1931-1973) with building plans, and records relating to the disposal of property. Alumni lists and correspondence exist as does a set of student records (1928-1967). A series of publications and typescripts about Windham House includes yearly catalogs and bulletins on the schools curriculum and academic life. The records also include a set of photographs.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Minutes, Director's Reports, and Correspondence, 1926-1967<lb/>Financial Records, 1931-1973<lb/>Student Records, 1928-1967<lb/>Print Material and Ephemera, n.d.<lb/>Photographs, n.d.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <corpname role="subject">Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (PECUSA)</corpname>
          <subject>Theological education</subject>
          <subject>Religious education</subject>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Deaconesses</subject>
          <geogname>New York City, New York</geogname>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">United Thank Offering. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0130</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1965/1973" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1965-1973</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        8 cu.ft. (8 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_2018_actor">United Thank Offering</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0489b70c100befffa0b86966849b9cfa" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The United Thank Offering (UTO) began in 1889 at the Triennial Meeting of the Woman’s Auxiliary as a special fund-raising initiative to support missionary work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS). Since UTOs  inception, they have been a form of self-organized participation by women in The Episcopal Church.  The UTO has also existed as a component group of the DFMS and its women’s ministries agency, both of which were within the oversight authority of the Executive Council and its predecessor bodies.<lb/><lb/>In 1935, with annual budgets exceeding a quarter million dollars and close to a thousand grant requests, the Executive Committee of the Woman’s Auxiliary hired their first manager (called the assistant secretary) to coordinate the grant and public relations process under the direction of the National Council. In 1958, when the Woman’s Auxiliary was integrated into Church structure as the General Division of Women’s Work. The UTO staff officer was appointed directly by the Presiding Bishop for the first time. A decade later, the Executive Council introduced an important change when it subsumed women’s work and ministry under the umbrella of the Committee for Women in place of the General Division of Women’s Work. This change led directly to the recommendation to Council of two separate agencies: the Committee on Lay Ministries (for women) and a clearly independent UTO Committee to continue the fund-raising and grant allocation program. The UTO Committee was replaced by the UTO Board, with revised by-laws and a Memorandum of Understanding in 2012.<lb/><lb/>Initially the United Thank Offering was collected to fund missionaries and building projects; however, its scope expanded over its 125 year history to include grants for ministries that met societal needs, such as educational programs, childcare programs, and outreach to under-served populations.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The Records of the United Thank Offering Office (UTO) comprise materials from two successive UTO Coordinators, Aileen S. Rucker and Alice P. Emery. Included are general correspondence, detailed files on grants, materials from the UTO Planning Committee, and general mailings.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Correspondence with Diocesan Officers, 1965-1976<lb/>Domestic Grants, 1966-1972<lb/>Overseas Grants, 1966-1972<lb/>Ecumenical and Miscellaneous Grants, 1967-1972<lb/>Car Grants, 1965-1969<lb/>UTO Planning Committee, 1967<lb/>Mailings, 1965-1973</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Emery, Alice P.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Rucker, Aileen S.</persname>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
          <subject>Women in lay ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women in ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Woman's Auxiliary and the General Division of Women's Work.  Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0152</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1923/1968" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1923-1968</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1.35 cu.ft. (2 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_2256_actor">Woman's Auxiliary</corpname>
            <corpname id="atom_2257_actor">General Division of Women's Work</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-7df4dace6806e1d45ea72be77343f310" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>In 1871, the General Convention authorized The Woman's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions to coordinate the work formerly conducted by a large number of isolated women's missionary societies. This work included raising funds, publicizing the missionary programs, and recruiting and training women missionaries. The Emery sisters–Mary Abbott, Julia Chester, Susan Lavinia, and Margaret Theresa–were all instrumental in the founding of the organization.<lb/><lb/>The first General Meeting of the Auxiliary was held in 1874, at which time the women resolved to meet concurrently with General Convention. These meetings came to be known as the Triennial Meetings of the Woman's Auxiliary. In 1889 Julia Chester Emery, who at the time was secretary of the Woman’s Auxiliary, began the United Offering (later renamed United Thank Offering) which provided funds for a wide range of innovative missionary projects.<lb/><lb/>In 1919, the first National Council Executive Board of the Woman’s Auxiliary was formed to oversee the direction of the work of the women, not only in supporting missionaries, but in social service, religious education, and prayer and worship.<lb/><lb/>At the 1958 Triennial Meeting, under the direction of the National Council, necessary bylaws were adopted to rename the Executive Board of the Woman’s Auxiliary as the General Division of Women’s Work, which included a designation that diocesan groups would be known as Episcopal Church Women.<lb/><lb/>Symbolic of the turbulent social climate of the late 1960s, the role of women in the Church went through numerous and significant changes, rendering the Episcopal Church Women unsure of where they fit. Structural reorganizations were initiated aiming to integrate women into the Church on every level. As a part of these changes, Executive Council (formerly National Council) dissolved the General Division of Women's Work in 1968.<lb/><lb/>Subsequently, the Triennial Meetings were organized by various ad hoc committees until the 1985 gathering, at which time bylaws were adopted forming the Episcopal Church Women (ECW) at the national level. A resolution was filed at the June 1986 meeting of Executive Council confirming that the newly formed Episcopal Church Women “is the same or successor organization to the Woman’s Auxiliary, the General Division of Women’s Work, the Committee for Women, the Triennial Program and Planning Committee, and the Triennial Committee”.<lb/><lb/>The ECW assumed responsibility for coordinating women's activities in the Church and for organizing the Triennial gatherings.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>This small collection includes minutes, reports, correspondence, mailings, position papers, and printed materials that document the Woman’s Auxiliary and its successor body, the General Division of Women’s Work, in their efforts to integrate lay women into the whole structure of the Episcopal Church on every level.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Arranged alphabetically</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Mulica, Olive May</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Rucker, Aileen S.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Young, Frances M.</persname>
          <subject>Churchwomen</subject>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
          <subject>Women</subject>
          <subject>Women in ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women in lay ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Windham House</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Triennial Meetings of the Women of the Episcopal Church.  Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0161</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1943/1977" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1943-1977</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        3 cu.ft. (3 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1855_actor">Woman's Auxiliary</corpname>
            <corpname id="atom_3102_actor">General Division of Women's Work</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-7df4dace6806e1d45ea72be77343f310" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>In 1871, the General Convention authorized The Woman's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions to coordinate the work formerly conducted by a large number of isolated women's missionary societies. This work included raising funds, publicizing the missionary programs, and recruiting and training women missionaries. The Emery sisters–Mary Abbott, Julia Chester, Susan Lavinia, and Margaret Theresa–were all instrumental in the founding of the organization.<lb/><lb/>The first General Meeting of the Auxiliary was held in 1874, at which time the women resolved to meet concurrently with General Convention. These meetings came to be known as the Triennial Meetings of the Woman's Auxiliary. In 1889 Julia Chester Emery, who at the time was secretary of the Woman’s Auxiliary, began the United Offering (later renamed United Thank Offering) which provided funds for a wide range of innovative missionary projects.<lb/><lb/>In 1919, the first National Council Executive Board of the Woman’s Auxiliary was formed to oversee the direction of the work of the women, not only in supporting missionaries, but in social service, religious education, and prayer and worship.<lb/><lb/>At the 1958 Triennial Meeting, under the direction of the National Council, necessary bylaws were adopted to rename the Executive Board of the Woman’s Auxiliary as the General Division of Women’s Work, which included a designation that diocesan groups would be known as Episcopal Church Women.<lb/><lb/>Symbolic of the turbulent social climate of the late 1960s, the role of women in the Church went through numerous and significant changes, rendering the Episcopal Church Women unsure of where they fit. Structural reorganizations were initiated aiming to integrate women into the Church on every level. As a part of these changes, Executive Council (formerly National Council) dissolved the General Division of Women's Work in 1968.<lb/><lb/>Subsequently, the Triennial Meetings were organized by various ad hoc committees until the 1985 gathering, at which time bylaws were adopted forming the Episcopal Church Women (ECW) at the national level. A resolution was filed at the June 1986 meeting of Executive Council confirming that the newly formed Episcopal Church Women “is the same or successor organization to the Woman’s Auxiliary, the General Division of Women’s Work, the Committee for Women, the Triennial Program and Planning Committee, and the Triennial Committee”.<lb/><lb/>The ECW assumed responsibility for coordinating women's activities in the Church and for organizing the Triennial gatherings.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>These records span the years 1943 to 1976 but are very limited from 1943 to 1961. From 1964 to 1976 the records include minutes, committee reports, correspondence, delegate lists, financial reports, election records, and related mailings and printed materials. The records of the President of the 1976 Triennial Meeting, Pamela Chinnis, who later became the first female President of the House of Deputies, are feature prominently. Of note are addresses given by notable women leaders, including Verna Dozier, Marion Kelleran, Letty Russell, and Carmen Hunter.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Women’s Triennial Meetings, 1943–1961 [National Council]<lb/>Women’s Triennial Meetings, 1964–1977 [Executive Council]</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Dozier, Verna J.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Kelleran, Marion</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Russell, Letty</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Hunter, Carmen</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Chinnis, Pamela</persname>
          <genreform>Photographs</genreform>
          <genreform>Audio recordings</genreform>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
          <subject>Women</subject>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">United Thank Offering. Grants</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0197</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1970/1980" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1970-1980</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        7 cu.ft. (7 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_2463_actor">United Thank Offering</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0489b70c100befffa0b86966849b9cfa" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The United Thank Offering (UTO) began in 1889 at the Triennial Meeting of the Woman’s Auxiliary as a special fund-raising initiative to support missionary work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS). Since UTOs  inception, they have been a form of self-organized participation by women in The Episcopal Church.  The UTO has also existed as a component group of the DFMS and its women’s ministries agency, both of which were within the oversight authority of the Executive Council and its predecessor bodies.<lb/><lb/>In 1935, with annual budgets exceeding a quarter million dollars and close to a thousand grant requests, the Executive Committee of the Woman’s Auxiliary hired their first manager (called the assistant secretary) to coordinate the grant and public relations process under the direction of the National Council. In 1958, when the Woman’s Auxiliary was integrated into Church structure as the General Division of Women’s Work. The UTO staff officer was appointed directly by the Presiding Bishop for the first time. A decade later, the Executive Council introduced an important change when it subsumed women’s work and ministry under the umbrella of the Committee for Women in place of the General Division of Women’s Work. This change led directly to the recommendation to Council of two separate agencies: the Committee on Lay Ministries (for women) and a clearly independent UTO Committee to continue the fund-raising and grant allocation program. The UTO Committee was replaced by the UTO Board, with revised by-laws and a Memorandum of Understanding in 2012.<lb/><lb/>Initially the United Thank Offering was collected to fund missionaries and building projects; however, its scope expanded over its 125 year history to include grants for ministries that met societal needs, such as educational programs, childcare programs, and outreach to under-served populations.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>These records consist entirely of United Thank Offering grant files from the years 1973 to 1978, with a small amount of administrative records and correspondence extending before and after. The files include formal applications, support documents, status reports, and correspondence. The institutions reflected in these files include Episcopal parishes in the United States, Anglican parishes or dioceses abroad, ecumenical groups, and social welfare organizations. Common types of grant proposals include building projects, equipment and transportation purchases (especially for overseas dioceses), and budget support for childcare, health, and education programs associated with Episcopal dioceses.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Domestic Grants, 1973-1978<lb/>Overseas Grants, 1973-1978<lb/>Ecumenical and Miscellaneous Grants and Administrative Records, 1970-1978<lb/>Grants, 1976</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <subject>Grants</subject>
          <subject>United Thank Offering (UTO)</subject>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Women in ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">United Thank Offering. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0213</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1970/1980" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1970-1980</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        4 cu.ft. (4 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_2471_actor">United Thank Offering</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0489b70c100befffa0b86966849b9cfa" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The United Thank Offering (UTO) began in 1889 at the Triennial Meeting of the Woman’s Auxiliary as a special fund-raising initiative to support missionary work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS). Since UTOs  inception, they have been a form of self-organized participation by women in The Episcopal Church.  The UTO has also existed as a component group of the DFMS and its women’s ministries agency, both of which were within the oversight authority of the Executive Council and its predecessor bodies.<lb/><lb/>In 1935, with annual budgets exceeding a quarter million dollars and close to a thousand grant requests, the Executive Committee of the Woman’s Auxiliary hired their first manager (called the assistant secretary) to coordinate the grant and public relations process under the direction of the National Council. In 1958, when the Woman’s Auxiliary was integrated into Church structure as the General Division of Women’s Work. The UTO staff officer was appointed directly by the Presiding Bishop for the first time. A decade later, the Executive Council introduced an important change when it subsumed women’s work and ministry under the umbrella of the Committee for Women in place of the General Division of Women’s Work. This change led directly to the recommendation to Council of two separate agencies: the Committee on Lay Ministries (for women) and a clearly independent UTO Committee to continue the fund-raising and grant allocation program. The UTO Committee was replaced by the UTO Board, with revised by-laws and a Memorandum of Understanding in 2012.<lb/><lb/>Initially the United Thank Offering was collected to fund missionaries and building projects; however, its scope expanded over its 125 year history to include grants for ministries that met societal needs, such as educational programs, childcare programs, and outreach to under-served populations.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The records of the United Thank Offering (UTO) office includes materials from two successive UTO Coordinators: Judith Gillespie and Alice P. Emery. The bulk of the collection contains correspondence with a small amount of financial records also included.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Correspondence of the UTO Coordinator with the Members of the UTO Executive Committee, 1970-1982<lb/>Correspondence of the UTO Coordinator with Diocesan and Parish UTO Chairpersons, 1973-1979<lb/>Diocesan General Correspondence, 1978-1980<lb/>Correspondence and Information Filed by Topic or Title, 1971-1981<lb/>Overseas General Correspondence, 1971-1979<lb/>Financial Records, 1974-1975</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Emery, Alice P.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Gillespie, Judith</persname>
          <subject>General Division of Women’s Work</subject>
          <subject>Missionaries</subject>
          <subject>United Thank Offering (UTO)</subject>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
          <subject>Women in lay ministry</subject>
          <subject>Women in ministry</subject>
          <subject>World mission</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Triennial Meetings of the Women of the Episcopal Church.  Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0221</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1970/1985" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1970-1985</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        4 cu.ft.    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_3264_actor">Episcopal Church Women</corpname>
            <corpname id="atom_3265_actor">General Division of Women's Work</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0b809209c366db7dae39575b6d73edc1" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Originally authorized by the General Convention in 1871 to coordinate the work formerly conducted by a large number of isolated women’s missionary societies, The Woman’s Auxiliary to the Board of Missions initially served in an advisory role, however, the Auxiliary evolved into a planning and promotion group. The first General Meeting of the Auxiliary was held in 1874, when the women resolved to meet concurrently with General Convention and came to be known as the Triennial Meetings of the Woman’s Auxiliary.<lb/><lb/>During the 1956-1958 triennium women’s work in the Church was reorganized. The Auxiliary transitioned into a division of National Council and was renamed the General Division of Women’s Work. Rejecting the auxiliary status, diocesan organizations began to name themselves the Episcopal Church Women. Symbolic of the turbulent social climate of the late 1960s and 1970s, the Church initiated structural reorganizations aimed at integrating women into the Church on every level. As part of these changes, the General Division of Women’s Work was dissolved in 1968.<lb/><lb/>Subsequent Triennial Meetings were organized by various ad hoc committees until the 1985 gathering, at which time bylaws were adopted forming the Episcopal Church Women (ECW) at the national level. This organization reclaimed its right as the successor body to the Woman’s Auxiliary and assumed responsibility for coordinating the women’s activities in the Church and for organizing the Triennial gatherings.<lb/><lb/>A resolution was filed at the June 1986 meeting of Executive Council confirming that the newly formed Episcopal Church Women “is the same or successor organization to the Woman’s Auxiliary, the General Division of Women’s Work, the Committee for Women, the Triennial Program and Planning Committee, and the Triennial Committee.”</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>This collection comprises records from the six Triennial Meetings that took place between the dissolution of the General Division of Women’s Work in 1968 and the establishment of the Episcopal Church Women in 1985. Included are minutes, committee reports, correspondence, delegate lists, financial reports, election records, and related mailings and printed materials. The bulk of the materials are from the 1979 and 1982 meetings.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Triennial Meeting, Houston, 1970<lb/>Triennial Meeting, Louisville, 1973<lb/>Triennial Meeting, Minneapolis, 1976<lb/>Triennial Meeting, Denver, 1979<lb/>Triennial Meeting, New Orleans, 1982<lb/>Triennial Meeting, Anaheim, 1985</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <genreform>Slides</genreform>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
          <subject>Women</subject>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">United Thank Offering. Awarded Grants</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0231</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1978/1987" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1978-1987 (bulk 1979-1983)</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        3 cu.ft. (3 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1579_actor">United Thank Offering</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0489b70c100befffa0b86966849b9cfa" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The United Thank Offering (UTO) began in 1889 at the Triennial Meeting of the Woman’s Auxiliary as a special fund-raising initiative to support missionary work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS). Since UTOs  inception, they have been a form of self-organized participation by women in The Episcopal Church.  The UTO has also existed as a component group of the DFMS and its women’s ministries agency, both of which were within the oversight authority of the Executive Council and its predecessor bodies.<lb/><lb/>In 1935, with annual budgets exceeding a quarter million dollars and close to a thousand grant requests, the Executive Committee of the Woman’s Auxiliary hired their first manager (called the assistant secretary) to coordinate the grant and public relations process under the direction of the National Council. In 1958, when the Woman’s Auxiliary was integrated into Church structure as the General Division of Women’s Work. The UTO staff officer was appointed directly by the Presiding Bishop for the first time. A decade later, the Executive Council introduced an important change when it subsumed women’s work and ministry under the umbrella of the Committee for Women in place of the General Division of Women’s Work. This change led directly to the recommendation to Council of two separate agencies: the Committee on Lay Ministries (for women) and a clearly independent UTO Committee to continue the fund-raising and grant allocation program. The UTO Committee was replaced by the UTO Board, with revised by-laws and a Memorandum of Understanding in 2012.<lb/><lb/>Initially the United Thank Offering was collected to fund missionaries and building projects; however, its scope expanded over its 125 year history to include grants for ministries that met societal needs, such as educational programs, childcare programs, and outreach to under-served populations.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>This record group consists entirely of awarded grant files for the years 1978 to 1987, with the bulk of the records covering dates from 1979 to 1983. The grantees reflected in these files include Episcopal parishes in the United States, Anglican parishes or dioceses abroad, ecumenical groups, and social welfare organizations. Common types of grant proposals include building projects, equipment and transportation purchases (especially for overseas dioceses), and budget support for childcare, health, and education programs associated with Episcopal dioceses.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Domestic Awarded Grants, 1981-1982<lb/>Regional and Overseas Awarded Grants, 1978-1982</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <genreform>Microfilm</genreform>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>United Thank Offering (UTO)</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Episcopal Church Women. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0279</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1978/2012" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1978-2012 (bulk 1985-1991)</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1.35 cu.ft. (2 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1635_actor">Episcopal Church Women</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0b809209c366db7dae39575b6d73edc1" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Originally authorized by the General Convention in 1871 to coordinate the work formerly conducted by a large number of isolated women’s missionary societies, The Woman’s Auxiliary to the Board of Missions initially served in an advisory role, however, the Auxiliary evolved into a planning and promotion group. The first General Meeting of the Auxiliary was held in 1874, when the women resolved to meet concurrently with General Convention and came to be known as the Triennial Meetings of the Woman’s Auxiliary.<lb/><lb/>During the 1956-1958 triennium women’s work in the Church was reorganized. The Auxiliary transitioned into a division of National Council and was renamed the General Division of Women’s Work. Rejecting the auxiliary status, diocesan organizations began to name themselves the Episcopal Church Women. Symbolic of the turbulent social climate of the late 1960s and 1970s, the Church initiated structural reorganizations aimed at integrating women into the Church on every level. As part of these changes, the General Division of Women’s Work was dissolved in 1968.<lb/><lb/>Subsequent Triennial Meetings were organized by various ad hoc committees until the 1985 gathering, at which time bylaws were adopted forming the Episcopal Church Women (ECW) at the national level. This organization reclaimed its right as the successor body to the Woman’s Auxiliary and assumed responsibility for coordinating the women’s activities in the Church and for organizing the Triennial gatherings.<lb/><lb/>A resolution was filed at the June 1986 meeting of Executive Council confirming that the newly formed Episcopal Church Women “is the same or successor organization to the Woman’s Auxiliary, the General Division of Women’s Work, the Committee for Women, the Triennial Program and Planning Committee, and the Triennial Committee.”</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Questionnaires, correspondence, printed material, minutes, reports, speeches, audio cassettes, and other materials comprise the records of the Episcopal Church Women. The records contain information regarding the Triennial Committee and individual Triennial meetings including directories, delegate mailings, reports, minutes, evaluations, delegate profile questionnaires from the 1991 meeting, and copies of the Triennial Newsletter and Triennial Today.  The majority of records fall into the period 1985-1991.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Administrative Records, 1984-1991 (Financial, Reports, Publications)<lb/>Triennial Records, 1978-1991 (Newsletters, Reports, Minutes, Delegate Profiles)</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <subject>Woman's Auxiliary</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Roanridge Training and Conference Center. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0310-01</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1931/1978" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1931-1978</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        10.5 cu. ft. (34 boxes, 1 slide cabinet, 14 maps and charts)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1805_actor">Roanridge Foundation, Inc.</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-80f0ce53a082367746e764df8a5caebb" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>In 1942, Wilbur Cochel offered his 320-acre farm, Roanridge, near Kansas City, Missouri to serve as a training and conference center for the rural mission of the Episcopal Church. In light of the Joint Commission on Rural Work’s report of 1940 calling for the promotion of rural work within the Episcopal Church, the Church accepted Mr. Cochel's offer. Other than the farm itself, programs at Roanridge were administered by the National Town and Country Church Institute (NTCCI), which held its first session on the farm in 1945.<lb/><lb/>In donating his farm and estate to the Episcopal Church, Cochel established the Roanridge Rural Training Foundation in 1947.  Funding and administration of the Center was the joint responsibility of the Trustees of the Roanridge Foundation and the National Council’s Division of Town and Country. The Executive Secretary of the Division of Town and Country Work, the Rev. Clifford Samuelson, managed the Center from New York City until the appointment of the Center’s first resident director, the Rev. Norman Foote, in 1950.<lb/><lb/>In 1955, the Board of Trustees incorporated the Roanridge Rural Training Foundation as the Roanridge Rural Training Center, Inc. The corporation changed its name to the Roanridge Foundation, Inc. in 1972 with a Board of Directors constituted in the same manner as the former Board of Trustees.<lb/><lb/>Initially, Roanridge offered agricultural training, however, over time it shifted to emphasize conferences and short courses for clergy and laity. The most active of these was the Summer Parish Training Program, during which students lived and worked on the farm while serving several local rural congregations. Other noteworthy activities taking place at Roanridge included the summer Vacation Church School Program for local children, Church Army training sessions, National Episcopal Town and Country Conferences, Indian Work consultations, and meetings of the Rural Workers Fellowship and National Advisory Committee on Town and Country.<lb/><lb/>With the waning need for rural work and the financial status of the Roanridge Foundation deteriorating, the Foundation Board of Trustees voted to dissolve the Wilbur A. Cochel Trust at its meeting of August 12, 1976. Its assets were divided between the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society, Holy Trinity Cathedral in Kansas City, and St. Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City. With the proceeds from the sale of the land, the Executive Council established the Wilbur A. Cochel, Caroline F. Cochel, and Roanridge Trust for the training of rural ministry.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The collection comprises correspondence, minutes, surveys, reports, financial records, printed materials, photographic materials, audio-visual materials, maps, and charts dating from 1939 to 1978. The photographic materials include two cubic feet of prints and negatives and more than two thousand slides, which often topically parallel other records found in the collection.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>General Administrative records, 1939-1973<lb/>Proceedings of the Meetings of the Board of Trustees, 1947-1974,<lb/>Correspondence between Staff and Board Members, 1943-1974<lb/>Records of the Director, 1942-1975<lb/>[Records of the Town and Country Division, 1931-1971--separate catalog entry]<lb/>Financial Records, 1947-1975<lb/>Affiliated Organizations records, 1945-1973<lb/>Program records, 1938-1976<lb/>Facilities records, 1940-1971, arranged topically<lb/>Printed Materials, 1942-1978<lb/>Photographic Materials, 1939-1976<lb/>Audiovisual Materials, 1961-1967<lb/>Maps and Charts, 1960-1973</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Allison, W. Francis</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Cochel, Wilbur A.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Davidson, William</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Dietrich, Roy R.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Foote, Norman L.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Page, Herman</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Samuelson, Clifford Leroy</persname>
          <genreform>Audiotapes</genreform>
          <genreform>Film negatives</genreform>
          <genreform>Photographs</genreform>
          <subject>Agriculture</subject>
          <subject>Education</subject>
          <subject>Evangelism</subject>
          <subject>Rural churches</subject>
          <subject>Rural clergy</subject>
          <subject>Rural development</subject>
          <geogname>Kansas City, Missouri</geogname>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Division of Town and Country.  Roanridge Training and Conference Center. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0310-02</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1931/1971" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1931-1971</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        2 cu. ft. (7 boxes partial)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1780_actor">Division of Town and Country</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-27d92fe72b80c13a20135e30add2b762" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Following the Joint Commission on Rural Work report to the 1940 General Convention calling for more rural Church workers, a new staff officer position for “town and country” work in the Division of Domestic Mission was created.  In 1949, this position expanded to a stand-alone department under the Home Department as the Division of Town and Country Work. Two years later, the Division appointed a National Advisory Committee for Town and Country Work to perform studies and make recommendations.<lb/><lb/>The Division of Town and Country Work had a particularly close relationship with the Roanridge Training Center in Missouri. The programs at Roanridge, including the Summer Parish Training Program, were administered by the National Town and Country Institute.<lb/><lb/>Emphasis on the rural mission waned in the 1960s as the national Church became more focused on urban mission. A 1961 reorganization of the Home Department saw the elimination of the Division of Town and Country, with its responsibilities being returned to the Division of Domestic Mission. The National Advisory Committee for Town and Country Work survived the reorganization and eventually dissolved in 1967.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>From 1945 to 1977 Roanridge Training and Conference Center in Missouri was the primary center of operation for the Division of Town and Country within the Home Department, although the two entities were structurally distinct. The Division’s records contain administrative and program files, conference materials, reports generated by the Division (often in consultation with Roanridge or with persons affiliated with the National Council’s Unit of Research and Field Study), and resource materials formerly housed in the Roanridge Library. Of particular interest in the latter series is a scrapbook collected by Edna Eastwood on the Church’s early ministry to the “isolated,” and a set of surveys generated by the Unit of Research and Field Study. Also present are subject files and correspondence documenting field visits and consultations to rural areas throughout the country.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>This fonds is described as file series 5 in the finding aid for the Records of Roanridge Training and Conference Center.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Allison, W. Francis</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Cochel, Wilbur A.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Davidson, William</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Page, Herman</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Samuelson, Clifford Leroy</persname>
          <subject>Evangelism</subject>
          <subject>Rural churches</subject>
          <subject>Rural clergy</subject>
          <subject>Rural development</subject>
          <geogname>Kansas City, Missouri</geogname>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">United Thank Offering.  Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0325</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1971/1988" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1971-1988</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        2 cu. ft. (2 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1730_actor">United Thank Offering</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-0489b70c100befffa0b86966849b9cfa" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The United Thank Offering (UTO) began in 1889 at the Triennial Meeting of the Woman’s Auxiliary as a special fund-raising initiative to support missionary work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS). Since UTOs  inception, they have been a form of self-organized participation by women in The Episcopal Church.  The UTO has also existed as a component group of the DFMS and its women’s ministries agency, both of which were within the oversight authority of the Executive Council and its predecessor bodies.<lb/><lb/>In 1935, with annual budgets exceeding a quarter million dollars and close to a thousand grant requests, the Executive Committee of the Woman’s Auxiliary hired their first manager (called the assistant secretary) to coordinate the grant and public relations process under the direction of the National Council. In 1958, when the Woman’s Auxiliary was integrated into Church structure as the General Division of Women’s Work. The UTO staff officer was appointed directly by the Presiding Bishop for the first time. A decade later, the Executive Council introduced an important change when it subsumed women’s work and ministry under the umbrella of the Committee for Women in place of the General Division of Women’s Work. This change led directly to the recommendation to Council of two separate agencies: the Committee on Lay Ministries (for women) and a clearly independent UTO Committee to continue the fund-raising and grant allocation program. The UTO Committee was replaced by the UTO Board, with revised by-laws and a Memorandum of Understanding in 2012.<lb/><lb/>Initially the United Thank Offering was collected to fund missionaries and building projects; however, its scope expanded over its 125 year history to include grants for ministries that met societal needs, such as educational programs, childcare programs, and outreach to under-served populations.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The records reflect the business and program of the United Thank Offering (UTO) office and the work of the Coordinator. The central thread of the documentation is the UTO grant program. Administrative records consist of correspondence, specifically letters to diocesan bishops explaining UTO’s grant application process, application instructions, the UTO Committee [Grant] Policy Statement, rosters, and other reference materials. Distributions to the diocesan UTO chairwomen include the Interpretive Materials samples of new promotional materials for that season along with Offerings, the UTO newsletter, grants list brochure, and a UTO poster. The Grants Administration series contains the grant requests and process documents. The “staff book” was an administrative binder containing a comprehensive overview of all UTO grant requests from 1977 until 1983.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Program Administration, 1971-1983<lb/>UTO Committee Records, 1976-1985<lb/>Grants Administration, 1977-1988</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Emery, Alice P.</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Myers, Judith Gillespie</persname>
          <subject>Women’s ministries</subject>
          <subject>Women in the Episcopal Church</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Cathedral Films, Inc. Records</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0327</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1938/1993" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1938-1993</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        67 cu.ft. (75 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <repository>
            <corpname>The Archives of the Episcopal Church</corpname>
          </repository>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_4258_actor">Cathedral Films, Inc.</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-7fdbed2d28c532ffe91cbf9927f42f6e" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Cathedral Films, Inc. was founded in 1939 by the Reverend James K. Friedrich, an Episcopal priest who believed in using film for Christian education and ministry. The company’s first production, The Great Commandment (1939), was a modest success but not widely distributed. Financial constraints shifted the company's focus to short biblical films for church and Sunday School use, which became its core output.<lb/><lb/>In 1943 Cathedral Films became a nonprofit corporation, and in 1947 the Articles of Incorporation were amended to stipulate that in the event of the dissolution of the corporation, its assets would go to The Episcopal Church.<lb/><lb/>For over four decades, Cathedral Films produced and distributed religious films, filmstrips, and recordings across denominations, including the acclaimed Day of Triumph (1954). In the 1960s and 1970s, the company and its subsidiary, Q-Ed Productions, addressed contemporary social issues such as drug abuse and premarital sex from a Christian perspective. Animated filmstrips—featuring characters like Disney’s Jiminy Cricket—were also used to teach children core Christian values. Under the Rev. James L. Friedrich in the 1980s and 1990s, Cathedral expanded into historical documentaries on the Episcopal and Anglican Churches.<lb/><lb/>In 1968, persistent financial challenges led President Ed Eagle to propose revoking the Trust to return Cathedral Films to for-profit status, which would allow broader funding sources and the production of secular educational content—activities potentially restricted under the nonprofit structure. Efforts to dissolve the Trust or buy back The Episcopal Church’s inheritance rights in the early 1970s were unsuccessful. In response, Cathedral Films created two subsidiaries: Q-Ed Productions in 1973 to produce educational films, and Religious Films Corporation in 1977 to support its religious media work.<lb/><lb/>By 1980, as Cathedral Films faced mounting insolvency, Eagle offered to sell the company to The Episcopal Church, which declined due to its financial liabilities. A year later, a tentative agreement was reached, but Trustee Elaine Friedrich withheld consent, citing concerns over the Trust’s dissolution. She and her son, the Rev. James L. Friedrich, raised allegations of financial mismanagement—including excessive spending on furnishings, vehicles, and gifts—and called for an audit. They submitted an alternative governance proposal, which the Board approved. Eagle resigned in 1982, and James L. Friedrich became President, continuing production into the mid-1990s.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The Cathedral Films archive offers a well-rounded overview of both the administrative and creative aspects of Cathedral Films, Inc., and the two companies that formed as offshoots in the 1970s, Q-Ed Productions and Religious Films Corporation. Included are minutes and corporate records, legal documents, financial documents, scripts, promotional materials, and audio visual materials.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Minutes and Corporation Records, 1939-1992<lb/>Legal Documents, 1954-1984<lb/>Corporate Administration, 1948-1992<lb/>Financial Administrative Records, 1953-1989<lb/>Scripts, 1950-1988<lb/>Promotional Materials, 1948-1993<lb/>Photographs, Film Strips, and Slides, n.d.<lb/>Audio and Moving Image Recordings, n.d.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <name role="subject">Eagle, Ed</name>
          <name role="subject">Friedrich, James K.</name>
          <name role="subject">Friedrich, James L.</name>
          <genreform>Audio and Moving Image Recordings</genreform>
          <genreform>Documentaries</genreform>
          <genreform>Filmstrips</genreform>
          <genreform>Slides</genreform>
          <subject>Christian education</subject>
          <subject>Education</subject>
          <subject>Q-Ed Productions</subject>
          <subject>Religious Films Corporation</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
      <c level="fonds">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Pacific Basin Conference. Audio Recordings</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1">EA-00-R0348</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1983/1983" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1983</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        .5 cu.ft. (2 boxes)    </physdesc>
          <langmaterial encodinganalog="3.4.3">
            <language langcode="eng">English</language>
          </langmaterial>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <corpname id="atom_1889_actor">Pacific Basin Conference</corpname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-20cb17e56bd09122cda9b7c28512ee18" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>The Pacific Basin Conference was held June 19-25, 1983 at Hawaii Loa College, Kaneohe, Hawaii. Conceived by Bishop Wesley Frensdorff of the Diocese of Nevada, and hosted by Bishop Edmond Browning from the Diocese of Hawaii, the conference was attended by over 150 participants and delegates from 51 dioceses of the Anglican Communion around the Pacific Basin. Its purpose was to discuss Roland Allen’s teachings on missionary work and examine how they could be implemented in the Pacific region.  These teachings included giving indigenous people the responsibility for leadership in mission churches and enabling lay persons to have an important, effective role as evangelists, relying on local leaders to carry out the work of the Church rather than absentee bishops.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>The content of the recordings of the Pacific Basin Conference include speakers, presenters, plenary sessions, reports, discussions, and question and answer sessions.  Although some speakers on the recordings are unidentified, the identified conference speakers and presenters include:<lb/><lb/>Dr. Bernard Cooke, professor at Holy Cross College, Worcester, Massachusetts and Roman Catholic scholar<lb/>Rev. George C. Harris,  Episcopal Bishop of Alaska<lb/>Dr. F. Ross Kinsler, specialist in adult education, missionary educator, one of the founders of Theological Education by Extension, and director of  San Francisco Theological Seminary’s Southern California Extension Center<lb/>Dr. Kosuke Koyama, professor at Union Theological Seminary, New York and minister of United Church of Christ<lb/>Rev. Jaci C. Maraschin, priest of the  Brazilian Anglican Church and professor at Federacao Escolas Superiores, Sao Paulo<lb/>Patricia N. Page, specialist in adult education and faculty at Church Divinity School of the Pacific, Berkeley<lb/>Rev. David M. Paton, canon of Canterbury Cathedral and noted expert on Roland Allen<lb/>Most Rev. Paul Reeves, Archbishop of New Zealand<lb/>Dr. Macu (Matthew) Salato (referred to in ENS and Living Church as Matthew Solato), physician, diplomat, and lay canon of the Anglican cathedral in Suva, Fiji</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <arrangement encodinganalog="3.3.4">
          <p>Recordings are organized by date (i.e. day of the conference) and then alphabetically by the last name of the speaker that appears first on the label.</p>
        </arrangement>
        <controlaccess>
          <persname role="subject">Frensdorff, Wesley</persname>
          <persname role="subject">Browning, Edmund Lee</persname>
          <genreform>Audio recordings</genreform>
          <subject>Indigenous People</subject>
          <subject>Evangelism</subject>
          <subject>Missions</subject>
          <subject>Native Americans</subject>
        </controlaccess>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy.  Research requests must be submitted in writing.</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.</p>
        </userestrict>
      </c>
    </dsc>
  </archdesc>
</ead>
